Re:Oracle process on unix

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:39:04 -0500

Majid,

    First, let me get up on the soapbox, because Unix (all flavors) unlike Windows NT is a REAL multi tasking operating system. Therefore, again unlike NT, there is no need for an interface between the programs running in the background (services MicroSlop calls them) and the OS. OK, now off of the soapbox.

    What is happening is that NT like all other MicroSlop stuff is really running the show. It runs in a multi threaded way, namely the OS is running all programs and services all of the time. Note that the OS is running not the program. Unix lets a program start & then run all by itself, What the os does is partition up the CPU's attention into chunks or time slices that it then allocates to the programs on an equal footing, the OS included. Therefore no interface is needed. Also since Unix is multi tasking vs. multi threaded Oracle can run as several processes, each getting it's own time slice of CPU attention instead of as one BIG program trying to do several things at the same time.

    Maybe not the technically correct view of the world, but I do believe a true one.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Oracle process on unix
Author: Majid Kazemi <Mkazemi_at_teranet.on.ca> Date: 1/3/2001 8:30 AM

Happy New Year everyone:

I would like to understand the difference between NT and UNIX in terms of starting up the database. I know Oracle in NT has a service and instance. The service is the interface between the Oracle instance and the operating system. You need to startup the service before you start the instance. However, in UNIX there is no such service. My Question Is there a process which handling the communication between UNIX and Oracle. Your help will highly be appreciated.
Thanks;
Majid Kazemi

Author: Majid Kazemi
  INET: Mkazemi_at_teranet.on.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 03 2001 - 14:39:04 CST