Re: Off-Topic: HP Root account disabled, HELP

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:29:03 -0400

Answers inline:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Michael Parry wrote:
> Hi, my root account has been disabled on a HPUX system
> I just took over, even the console is locked. I know
> little on HPs. On Solaris I can boot from the CD,
> mount the disk and change the password. Is it the
> same on HP?
>
> 1. How can I reset the root password? Steps?

Go into the firmware settings after reboot and boot into single user mode (at the prompt: hpux -is). You will be able to run passwd and reset the root password.

> 2. If it is a trusted system, how can I reset the
> password?

You must have the password for the admin account (been a while since I've dealt with trusted HP. There is an account that is used to reset the root password on trusted hp-ux. You may have to do some digging on dejanews to find out which, since my memory has obviously repressed my, um, "wonderful" experiences admining Oracle on trusted hp :)

> 4. Lastly, can running the pwconv command enable the
> trusted system on HPUX 10.2?

Nope - trusted is a completely different operating system install - you cannot 'accidentally' change vanilla 10.20 to trusted 10.23 (the last version of trusted hp-ux to hit the market. I believe hp has dropped trusted from their lineup).

HTH,
GC

--
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."