Re: Oracle8i installation on Sun Solaris without using X-Windows

From: Rahul Dandekar <orcldba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:05:51 -0500

Are you sure this is going to work?

First thing is, does 8i at all have Character Based Installation like old versions?

For running the GUI, you need two things... 1. X-server : Which JR has corretly mentioned

2. Some kind of Java Middle Layer (JVM) which will translate the Java Bytecode

   into X windows APIs. And that needs to be on the client (the machine from which

   the runInstaller is executed).

You cannot install 8i using Universal installer even if the java related OS patches are
not installed. We had this problem on a couple of test machines and then finally
jumpatarted the machines from NIS server...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

-Rahul