RE: OPS questions

From: Ishrat Jehan <ijehan_at_dgsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:22:12 -0800

    I had done some research on the various of HA options. From the reviews and experiences of other companies who have implemented OPS. 1. The OPS architecture is implemented on the expensive Hardware Cluster that has to be purchased from the HW vendor. A cost factor involved here. 2. OPS is a specialized skill that need the expertise of a Senior DBA both with the OPS experience to install, implement and support the architecture. 3. OPS has load-sharing properties so that is a definite advantage. 4. OPS software is an add-on and SW has to be purchased separately so another cost consideration.

     Evaluating all pros and cons we decided to go for the Veritas HA solution for Oracle. If you interested I can elaborate on the comparative analysis.
Hope that helps.

.............. Ishrat Jehan