Analyzing tables

From: <achoto_at_american.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:58:23 -0500

Happy Holidays to all!

I have been asked to run a script to analyze three schemas on a daily basis after our daily load is finished.

One of the questions that was raised is if the results of running the dbms_utility.analyze_schema('<schema name>,'COMPUTE') on each of the schemas involved are the same as when running the sql 'analyze table <table_name> compute statistics'.

Another question is if we analyze a table with the 'for all columns' in the for clause are we getting more info? I guess my question here is if we use the for clause are we limiting the statistics to those options, or are we getting more?

We're on 8.0.5.2.1, Sun 2.6. The optimizer_mode is set to CHOOSE.

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
Systems Programmer
American University
e-Operations
Phone (202) 885-2275
Fax (202) 885-2224 Received on Fri Dec 22 2000 - 08:58:23 CST