RE: DBA - Job boundaries & perks

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:33:44 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C06C3D.556B63C0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Walt,

That's great...thanks for the picture. I am ready to pack and come out. Now, for convincing the ex and the kids, got any good ideas? ;->

Ross

Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C06C3D.556B63C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: DBA - Job boundaries &amp; perks</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Walt, </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>That's great...thanks for the picture. I am ready</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to pack and come out. Now, for convincing the ex</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>and the kids, got any good ideas? ;-&gt;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Ross</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Weaver, Walt [<A HREF="mailto:wweaver_at_rightnow.com">mailto:wweaver_at_rightnow.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 10:56 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: RE: DBA - Job boundaries &amp; perks</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;Jeffery Stevenson wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;I only wear jeans here during the winter...summertime its shorts, tshirts,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;and sandals!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;&nbsp; Seems like there are a lot of bad startup stories out there...any good</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;ones people care to share?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Here's one.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Working for a startup here in Bozeman. CRM product is going great guns,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>we've signed some big players on as customers -- Motorola, Remington,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Black&amp;Decker, Proctor&amp;Gamble to name just a few. We were planning on an IPO</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>last month, but delayed it when the stock market went in the tank. We have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>good enough cash flow to stay private and when things look better we'll try</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>for the IPO again. I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but maybe</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>all those stock options they gave me will be worth something some day.&nbsp; ;&gt;)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>The fellow who started the company has a good track record. He's previously</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>started two successful companies, sold'em, decided to move to Bozeman and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>retire, got bored and started another one. Like you, summertime attire is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>shorts, sandals, and t-shirts. However, that kind of attire is strongly</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>discouraged in Montana in winter ;&gt;), so it's blue jeans and sweatshirts.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>When the blue light is flashing on the Baxter Hotel (which it does when</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Bridger Bowl has at least four inches of new snow) every effort is made to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>ensure at least some people can head up and enjoy the powder (it's a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>20-minute drive from work).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>We're building a &quot;campus&quot; just outside of Bozeman, complete with trout</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>ponds, stream, and park. I'm in charge of the DBA area, just hired a junior</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>DBA, and will be looking for two more next year. Shameless plug: if anyone's</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>looking for a DBA job some time next year and would like to live in Big Sky</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>country, let me know.&nbsp; ;&gt;)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>There's a ton of work to do here and it frequently entails long hours and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>late-night/early morning migrations, but it's worth the effort and fun to be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>starting at the ground floor with a new company. And, it's nice to have a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>five-minute commute from my one-acre &quot;ranch&quot; south of Bozeman. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Like Rachel says, it's the little, intangible things that makes a job fun. I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>make a decent salary, lousy by Silicon Valley standards but great by Montana</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>standards, but it's the intangibles that really make the job rewarding.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Okay, I'm outa here. Time to start vacation.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>--Walt Weaver</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; Bozeman, Montana, USA</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: Weaver, Walt</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) 538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>San Diego, California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).&nbsp; You may</FONT>