RE: DBA - Job boundaries & perks

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:20:53 -0000

The CEO of the place I am now, just asked everyone in the company (less than 100 of us) to send him an email with our top 10 "best and worst" things about our site and the company. And he MEANT it. He'll read them all, and will actually listen and try to make changes where possible.

At the staff meeting, when he handed out the bonus checks -- it was like a graduation. He called your name, you came up and shook his hand, got the check and EVERYONE applauded. We sang Happy Birthday to a couple of people.

There is a LOT of work to do here. Long hours at times, work through lunch, work evenings and weekends at home. My junior DBA has to glare at me to get me away from my desk for a break. And I'm still barely running in place to keep up. And it gets frustrating at times (when I actually get 5 minutes to do my real work, and make an improvement I keep telling my boss "see what I can do when you let me do what I'm supposed to do?")

I, like Jeff, took a pay cut to come here. And I've had offers since for a LOT more money. But the attitude of the people here, when I can get them some information from the database that they can't find, or when I speed things up, well.... an email saying "thanks, you rule" is why I stay.

Tech is usually the "forgotten stepchild" of a company. No one knows who you are, what you do, and they only know your phone number to call and complain.

Not here.... we do company outings, heck, we went bowling (and boy am I a lousy bowler -- and my teammates, kids half my age, just kept encouraging me and cheering me on). We know names and faces.

Sometimes the perks are not tangible.... and usually those are the perks that are really worth it. I have enough money to pay my bills and buy myself the occasional toy. More money won't make me happier. Being appreciated does.

Rachel