RE: How greenspan stolen this Christmas!

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:49:21 -0400

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't blame Greenspan for the downturn in the economy, it can't keep growing forever.

Interesting coincidence, isn't it, that right after elections in the US and Canada, the economy slows down. Either they planned the election times that way, or people see elections as a sort of landmark, and they re-evaluate everything. And when people take a closer look at spending, usually they cut back for a while.

For about a week I thought maybe the economic downturn was caused by people fearing the Republicans, but here in Canada the election didn't change anything and we see the same results.

Re. the nasdaq, I vaguely remember a majority of stock brokers telling people that e-stocks were overvalued. I think even Larry Ellison said it. Very few people listened to them, because nothing happened for a while. Instead of seeing the downturn right away, it took about a year.

One good thing out of this is that the IPO lure to get people to work for less money won't draw as many people from now on.

Also, people might think a bit more before pouring their money into stocks without advice from a broker. Internet trading has made it very easy for people to ride the roller-coaster. Unfortunately when the roller-coaster is the stock market, when you hit those lows... well, you're out of money like someone standing in front of a slot machine.

Oracle shares aren't dropping as much as the other ones, are they? Time to buy, perhaps, but don't take my advice I have no money. At least it saved me from the nasdaq plunge. Maybe if I sell my house, I could live in my car for a year, and next year I will be able to buy a bigger house!

I suspect that the companies who actually produce something (not just web services) will prove more solid than the others, because the others are totally subject to people's whims. e.g. "Oh, forget about this portal site, this other portal site is much better now!" Same with search engines. Same with Internet shopping malls. Same with e-retailers. Hmm what does that do to their stability.

: )

This is my opinion and my opinion only, I generated this whimsical wisdom all on my own.

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)