RE: RAID5 Oracle upgrade

From: Alex Hillman <alex_hillman_at_physia.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:16:38 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C06ADA.E9371AE0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Why not install new array, connect it to the same box, create file systems and directories
on it, put tablespaces one by one into backup mode and copy files to the new raid array including control files. Also copy oracle software and admin directories if they are also on old array. Then shutdown the database (not abort), change everywhere in parameter file old directories to new directories if needed, open database on the old array in mount mode and change file names to new directories - it can be scripted. Then you can open database and take away old array. Downtime should me minimal.

Alex Hillman

Author: Bill Becker
  INET: beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu

------_=_NextPart_001_01C06ADA.E9371AE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: RAID5 Oracle upgrade</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Why not install new array, connect it to the same =
box, create file systems and directories</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>on it, put tablespaces one by one into backup mode =
and copy files to the new raid array including control files. Also copy = oracle software and admin directories if they are also on old array. = Then shutdown the database (not abort), change everywhere in parameter = file old directories to new directories if needed, open database on the = old array in mount mode and change file names to new directories - it = can be scripted. Then you can open database and take away old array. = Downtime should me minimal.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alex Hillman</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Bill Becker [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu">mailto:beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu</A>]</F= ONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 4:56 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: RAID5 Oracle upgrade</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hello,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Someone made a clever(?) proposal regarding a disk =
upgrade</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>at our site, and I'm wondering what to make of =
it.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>First, we run Oracle 8.1.6 on Sun Solaris; filesystem =
type</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>is UFS (not Veritas) with an 8K block size.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Most of the Oracle data resides upon two RAID5 =
arrays; each</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>array is composed of five 18GB disks. The upgrade =
consists of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>replacing the RAID5 18GB disks with 36GB =
disks.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The usual way we do this is to shutdown Oracle, take =
a full </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>cold backup of the system, remove the 10 18GB disks, =
install</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and configure the new 10 36GB disks, and restore =
from backup.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The problem with this process is that we will be down =
for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>8-10 hours or more.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The proposal is that we upgrade the disks =
one-at-a-time by making</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>use of the automatic RAID5 rebuild mechanism. That =
is, each day</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>we will simply remove one 18GB disk from a RAID5 =
array, replace</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it with a new 36GB disk, and let the automatic RAID5 =
rebuild</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>mechanism kick in and restore the disk. Poor =
performance for a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>few hours, but no down time.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Has anyone done anything similar? I suspect this =
method will only</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>reclaim 18GB of space on the new 36GB disk; can =
anyone verify that?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>If true, does anyone know of a way to increase that =
to the full 36GB</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>on all disks without taking the machine out of =
service for any </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>length of time?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks to any responders.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bill &quot;I don't actually do this stuff, I just =
propose it&quot; Becker</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>beckerb_at_dgabby.mfldclin.edu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.orafaq.com" = TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: Bill Becker</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; INET: beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) =
538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>San Diego, =
California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet = access / Mailing Lists</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an =
E-Mail message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of =
'ListGuru') and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB =
ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed =