Multiple 8 Homes on an NT Client

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:18:25 -0500

  We are preparing to setup PCs with multiple Oracle Homes for running = client software (no DBs installed). I have been doing some reading on the = subject and understand that with 8.0.4 and forward, multiple Oracle Homes = can be used with some products on Windows NT. The Oracle Home selector = rearranges the PATH to the home of choice.   We have an application that requires the Oracle 8.0.4 client, and = another one that requires 8.0.5. Plus we are going to be using Forms 6 or = 6i (whichever will work with these Oracle Homes). It appears to me that = the users will have to run the Oracle Home selector prior to running an = application. Which means that the users will have to know which applicatio= ns use the corresponding Oracle Homes. This seems like a lot of responsibi= lity to put on a user. =20
  How are other companies handling this? Am I missing something in the = documentation? I think we will choose to go with the lowest common = denominator (8.0.4) rather than to leave it up to users to choose their = Oracle Home.

Thanks

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications Received on Tue Dec 19 2000 - 10:18:25 CST