Re: How Oracle processes close cursor/cursor variable which were not closed programmatically?

From: Rajagopal Venkataramany <rajagopalvr_at_excite.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:21:14 -0800 (PST)

Muru,

  Instead of getting into discussing as how PMON/SMON would clean,   my sincere suggestion would be take care of this issue in coding   by closing the cursor in the PLsql procedure. This would be the   best and ideal way of overcoming this problem...

  Hope this helps...

Regards
Rajagopal Venkataramany

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:40:46 -0800, ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com wrote:

> Hello Lists,
>
> I am using REF CURSOR for running a query and
> retrieving data. The REF CURSOR is coded inside a
> PL/SQL procedure which is called by a C++ application
> through Oracle ODBC. The C++ application is using a
> open() method to call this stored procedure and assign
> the result to a RecordSet object.
>
> We running into ORA-01000 maximum number of open
> cursors reached error. I increased open_cursors from
> 50 to 500. Still after about 35000 number of procedure
> calls, we are getting this error.
>
> My question is: Somehow, the C++ applicaion is not
> closing the opened REF CURSOR after its use. How does
> Oracle SMON or PMON close these opened cursors
> periodically? How frequent the closing is done? Is
> there a way to check this using dictionary tables? Is
> it possible to increase the frequency of closing?
>
> I feel I am going wrong somewhere, I would like to get
> this clarified from you. Any level of help would be
> highly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Muru

> http://shopping.yahoo.com/
> Author: Muru Bala
> INET: murubala321_at_yahoo.com

Regards
Rajagopal Venkataramany

Send a cool gift with your E-Card Received on Tue Dec 19 2000 - 21:21:14 CST