alternatives to dbms_output?

From: <gregory.t.norris_at_mail.sprint.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:02:22 -0600

--openmail-part-178c465f-00000001

        ;Creation-Date="Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:02:21 -0600" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Are there any alternatives to dbms_output for displaying text from a PL/SQL block? I've put together a little script which uses dynamic SQL to rebuild indexes into a different tablespace, and I'd like to provide some visual feedback as it runs. Unfortunately dbms_output gets buffered until the block terminates, so it might run silently for an hour and then all-at-once spit out:

	moving index mehoo.index_1... ok
	moving index mehoo.index_2... ok
		.
		.
		.
	moving index mehoo.index_346... ok

I'd guess that rewriting the script using PERL/DBI would be an option, but that's a bigger project than I really want to tackle at the moment, mostly due to time constraints. Are there any other options?

Thanx!

--

My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them.

Greg Norris
Sprint LTD Database Administration
Internet: gregory.t.norris_at_mail.sprint.com

--openmail-part-178c465f-00000001--