RE: Cognos Expertise? Urgent

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:31:56 -0500

--0__=lGtr2bx8Bu6nAZlRCpnkVsYRfg81LpV1Uda51VBmoHDvidvNuNIllBXH Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline

Yeah, I agree too.

Our problem is that we have SOOOO many dimensions and measures. It would have been best to develop more than one cube. We even get a warning message that there should be only around7 but that we have 56! Yikes. The Cognos consultant told us to ignore it........

I have to scrap this project somehow and do it right. I have my manager looking for the user requirement docs (hope they still exist). It needs to be redesigned.

Hannah

"Jay Hostetter" <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com> on 12/15/2000 07:50:53 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:
Subject: RE: Cognos Expertise? Urgent

--0__=lGtr2bx8Bu6nAZlRCpnkVsYRfg81LpV1Uda51VBmoHDvidvNuNIllBXH

  I have to agree with Stephane - the underlying tables need to be desi= gned
well. We have been using PowerPlay for 2 years and are quite happy wit= h it.
The learning curve was much smaller then other products, such as Oracle=  Express.
I had a cube built within hours after receiving the software. When I o= pened the
Oracle Express boxes, it took me hours to figure out where to start.   There are times when sql and views won't quite cut it. We have a dat= abase
with around 220 million telephone call records in it. We have built a = cube
based on these call records with 6 dimensions (date, day-of-week, call = code,
hour of day, carrier, answer status, operator status). The two measure=  are
total calls and conversation minutes. This cube is only 7M in size! U= sers can
slice-and-dice the numbers and do trend analysis in seconds, versus the=  hours it
would take to run various queries against the database.   As was stated previously, you need to know your business requirements= .

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com> 12/15/00 03:07AM >>=

On a previous DW project, we have use Powerplay and Impromptu. IT and the users were quite happy. It is easier if you are pulling the data from a well designed dimension and fact tables database. Do not let the users having cubes with 15 dimensions, it will never worked.

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I just met with them. costly product. What exactly do u want to know? </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2
FACE=3D"Arial">Regards,<BR>
Satar</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello again list,</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyone out there familar with the 3-dimensional data reporting tool called</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Cognos?&nbsp; Can anyone direct me to a list of site or consultant who might</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">specialize in the area?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks,</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hannah</FONT>

</P>
<BR>
<BR>
</UL>
</BODY>
</HTML>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. http://shopping.yahoo.com/
Author: =3D?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=3D20stephane?=3D
  INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com