Re:Character sets

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:46:44 -0500

Lee,

    If your on Oracle8 look up Note:66320.1 on Metalink. If your on Orac= le 6
(heaven forbid) or Oracle 7, I've a note buried in my desk that will allo= w what
you want. Thankfully (count your multitude of lucky stars) the only NLS conversion that can be done without rebuilding the DB is from US7ASCII to=

WE8ISO8859P1. This is due to We8 being a superset of US7. I had to do t= he same
thing a couple of years ago, thank God. WARNING: before attempting any o= f thie
take a good COLD backup of the DB, just in case.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Character sets
Author: lerobe - Lee Robertson <LEROBE_at_acxiom.co.uk> Date: 12/15/2000 12:41 AM

All,
=

I have been made aware of a problem at our site.
=

Apparently we have a DB that was historically created with the wrong character set. It should be WE8ISO8859P1 but has been set at US7ASCII. Th= e
DB needs to be able to support German characters (such as =FC, =F6, =DF).=  Please
tell me there is a way around this other than recreating the entire datab= ase
(it is a fairly large DB).
=

TIA =
=

Lee Robertson =

Acxiom =

Tel: 0191 525 7344 =

Fax: 0191 525 7007 =

Email: lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk =

=

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader =

of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. =

If you have received this communication in error, please =

re-send this communication to the sender and delete the =

original message or any copy of it from your computer system.
-- =

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- =

Author: lerobe - Lee Robertson
  INET: LEROBE_at_acxiom.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Fri Dec 15 2000 - 08:46:44 CST