RE: Character sets

From: <GKor_at_rdw.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:02:11 +0100

in ORACLE 7 you can do the following : DON"T MAKE AN ERROR !!!

update props$ set NLS_CHARACTERSET =3D 'WE8ISO8859P1'=20

in ORACLE8 you can read the note on metalink

Note:66320.1
1. Make sure the parallel_server parameter in INIT.ORA is set to false = or it
is not set at all.
2. Execute the following commands in Server Manager (svrmgrl):  SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- or NORMAL=20 <do a full database backup>
 SVRMGR> STARTUP MOUNT;=20

SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;=20
SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=3D0;=20
SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=3D0;
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;=20
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET <new_character_set>;=20
SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- OR NORMAL=20
SVRMGR> STARTUP RESTRICT;=20

3. Restore the parallel_server parameter in INIT.ORA, if necessary.  4. Execute the following commands in Server Manager:  SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- OR NORMAL  SVRMGR> STARTUP; The double restart is necessary because of a SGA initialization bug, fixed in Oracle9i.
 To change the national character set replace the ALTER DATABASE CHARACTERSET command with ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET. You = can
issue bothcommands together if you wish.The ALTER DATABASE [NATIONAL] CHARACTER SET command will return: ORA-01679: database must be mounted EXCLUSIVE and not open to activate - if you do not enable restricted = session
- if you startup the instance in PARALLEL/SHARED mode - if you do not = set
the number of queue processes to 0 - if you do not set the number of AQ = time
manager processes to 0 - if anybody is logged in apart from you.This = error
message is misleading. The command requires the database to beopen but = only
one session, the one executing the command, is allowed.The above method = will
only work if the old character set is US7ASCII (or if you change the character set to itself). If the old character set is neither US7ASCII = nor
equal to the new character set, the ALTER DATABASE [NATIONAL] CHARACTER = SET
command will return:

Lists