one way / simple replication

From: Adam Turner <ATurner_at_concreteinc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:05:24 -0500

I am sure this is done elsewhere and I have no need to reinvent anything, but I want to setup a remote snapshot receiving database that my 8.1.6 64bit database will push to.

I have a quick questions before I really dig in:

How does the netwokr communication work?

        My production DB is in a nonroutable network and I want to keep it that way. It can open a communication to a remote (over the internet /VPN?) to another machine - but that machine cannot ever get to the production DB on its own. Is this possible?

Are there version issues between
1. different OS's?
2. 32 / 64 bit versions ??

        Basically I'll have 8.1.6 on the remote machine also, but it will be a different OS and not 64bit - is that OK will it work ... it's a bit of a red flag to me, but I am VERY new to replication in any sense.

any insight would be great Received on Fri Dec 15 2000 - 13:05:24 CST