Re: legal-eeze

From: Jim Conboy <Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:17:46 -0800

I think you'd be ok posting docs on your intranet as an assistance to your = development staff, but your usage of the phrase "educational purposes" = makes me a little skittish. If the focus is furthering development of = Oracle projects its probably an 'authorized use', if the purpose is =

primarily staff development (for example, in place of buying a CBT course) =
then strictly speaking it may not be permissible.  Maybe an angels-on-the-h=
ead-of-a-pin distinction, but on such things revolved our latest presidenti=
al election. I personally read that language you quoted as providing the = usual protection against you reproducing and selling the information, but = more importantly preventing you from, say, sending proof of a known bug to = a trade magazine or anti-Oracle web site (or keeping Micro$oft from doing = the same).

Jim

>>> Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net 12/14/00 12:21PM >>>
Hi there,

I was thinking of reproducing certain published documents on our intranet, for educational puposes. Unfortunately, Oracle's "legal notices and terms = of
use" makes my head hurt. Is it legal to reproduce a doc from Metalink?=20

Here's an excerpt:

"You may not use, disclose, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise copy in any form or by any means the information contained in the Materials for any purpose, other than to support your authorized use of the Oracle Programs for which you hold a supported license from Oracle, without the prior written permission of Oracle."

I would think that I would be "supporting my authorized us of Oracle Programs" (since we have a license), right?

Thanks!

Jerry=20
--=20
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20 --=20
Author: Cunningham, Gerald
  INET: Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 14 2000 - 13:17:46 CST