RE: LGWR's Writing Habits

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:12:03 +1000

Hi Gaja,

OK, I did read it as MIN. I retract my previous comment.

Nevertheless, although I don't have access to the source code, I am fairly sure that it is a MIN, not a MAX.

  1. My testing demonstrates that under intensive redo generation without commits, the average LGWR write is just larger than 1/3 of the log buffer certainly for normal log buffer sizes. I have yet to repeat the test with a log buffer larger than 3M.
  2. Also, the unsolicited email that I got yesterday from the Oracle insider that I mentioned said: "I do have access to the source code and it tells LGWR to write every 3 seconds, 1/3 full or 1M which ever is less."

Maybe you could ask your friend to check again.

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/