Life as a DBA

From: Cyril Thankappan <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2000 05:38:26 -0000

Hi!

 Hello listers,
 I've been a back-end DBA now for 2 years, and my  team strength is good enough to allow me the luxury  of 'venturing' into 'new products' (especially  the marriage between Java and Oracle fascinates me  a lot) like web server etc.. so that me and my boys(and girls) can provide better service and help to developers  at our site..

 Can someone suggest some oracle documents on the  above subjects?

 plus I am really 'bombarded' now by different  products which want to 'talk' to oracle from the middle-tier..  I am curious as to how 'people' (normally managers)  decide on which product to use and where,  (is there a document for that too!!!!!)

 Thanks a lot.

Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

 From: Ramamohan B N <ramamohan.bn_at_tatainfotech.com>  Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:54:05 +0530
 Subject: Re: Unix Shell/PERL Scripting examples/exercises

Hi Ranganath,

Checkout www.ugu.com
You can find daily tips and other stuff...

Regards,
Mohan

 From: Ramamohan B N <ramamohan.bn_at_tatainfotech.com>  Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:59:56 +0530
 Subject: Re: Database Trigger

Hi Ravindra,

You can do it using IF construct:

CREATE or REPLACE TRIGGER trg_alt_his_update AFTER INSERT or UPDATE on alt
FOR EACH ROW
   BEGIN

       IF :new.status <> 6 THEN
           insert into alt_his
           values(:new.id,:new.status,:new.not,:new.update_time,
           :new.sub) ;
       END IF;

   END; Regards,
Mohan

 From: "CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)" <clchan_at_nie.edu.sg>  Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:26:23 +0800
 Subject: Off-Topic: How to send email from PL/SQL

Hi,

Is it possible to send email in PL/SQL ? Is there any Oracle function that send email in PL/SQL ? If not, I guess I've to write the email information into a table, use a C-program to extract the information in the table and email it to the sender. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

Regds,
Chorling

 From: "Emine ATES" <emineates_at_postmaster.co.uk>  Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:52:28 +0000

hi,
it shuld be put after triggering statement in your case before for each row.
bye