RE: Cloning a database/Instance

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:59:21 -0500

When I want to make a backup copy(functional and running) of one of our instances, I basically do a copy. If it's the same version I would do the folling:
Have oracle create a new instance on the other machine and call it the same name as the instance you want to copy.
Once created shut it down.
Go to the original instance, shutdown immediate Copy all datafiles to the other machine. For example, if it is an NT machine the file structure will be Oracle home\oradata\instance name Delete all of the files that oracle created and put your in there place. Copy over the pfile and init file for the original into there proper locations.
If the new database copy is going to be on a different hard disk, you will have to run a script that alters the datafiles and points to the correct ones.
For example, alter database rename file 'old path' to 'new path',

You have to do this for every datafile, not the control files. I fire this script off in server manager, I don't know of any other way to do it other than connecting internal.
However, I have had some difficulty with it in the past, in order to connect internal the service has to be running, I usually start it from NT services, shut it down and restart it no mount mode and the script works.

Sorry this is so long, but I think it might be what you are looking for. Kev
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 13 2000 - 10:59:21 CST