slightly off-topic: postgresql vs oracle standard edition

From: Kate Monro <KMonro_at_extend.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:16:54 -0500

anyone had a look into the internals of PostgreSQL and have any comments about it's expected performance vs Oracle for OLTP applications doing over 100 select/insert's per second ?

I've been reading their docs which are rather basic. I Haven't gotten down to digging up more specific non-partisan info.

Specifically I'm interested in what makes PostgreSQL competitive, and whether Oracle's shared pool and tuning capabilities still have the advantage.

is there anyone out there who looks upon PostgreSQL favourably as an inexpensive alternative to Oracle? Received on Wed Dec 13 2000 - 12:16:54 CST