Re[2]: SYS password is not known (Oracle for NT)

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:07:14 -0500

I don't know about the rest of you folks out there, but I don't let anyone put the sys password in anything, programs, scripts, etc... Including third party apps. The problem is that those applications that do create things in the sys account don't get exported when you do a full db export. It should be reserved for Oracle and Oracle use only. Therefore I'd take the attitude that you change it & see what breaks. Then massacre the developer who did it.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Re: SYS password is not known (Oracle for NT) Author: Ramamohan B N <ramamohan.bn_at_tatainfotech.com> Date: 12/11/2000 10:50 PM

Hi Don,

You can create a password file. It JUST sets the password for connecting as internal. I **THINK** it wont change the password for SYS account.

Regards,
Mohan

Don Dealy II wrote:

> The dba left and now we are stuck!
>
> We know the SYSTEM password, but we don't know the SYS password. Is there any
way that this can be "hacked" (Ver 8.0.5.1.1) so we can know what it is?

> Yes, we could change it, but nobody knows what scripts or other applications
rely on the current SYS password. It's kind of a sticky wicket.

> We want to get OEM 2.1 up and running with the intelligent agent, but that may
require building the password file. Will that mess up the current SYS password?

Author: Ramamohan B N
  INET: ramamohan.bn_at_tatainfotech.com