Unrecoverable Questions.. Food for thought.

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:25:38 -0500

List,
  Is there a way to make a table and or index "unrecoverable" and after = the data is loaded make them "recoverable" for future loads and recoverabil= ity?
The question came about because I am cleaning up some fragmentation on a = table 4 GIG data and 3 GIG index, 10+ million rows. Export takes 20 = minutes. Truncate table is fast, but the import takes 7+ hours and = generates 4+GIG of archive logs. It would be faster to drop the indexes = before the import of the data but then the index creation would run into = the night and I would NOT be here to monitor the archive log space. Disk = space is a problem also..=20
  The tables and indexes have to be recoverable because the daily data = load needs to be archived for recoverability timeliness.  Is there a way to toggle the recoverability/unrecoverability of tables = and indexes?
Thanks,

ROR m=AA=BF=AAm Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 14:25:38 CST