Re: shutdown for backup : pro's and con's

From: Murali Vallath <murali_vallath_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:09:02 -0500

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE sometimes takes for ever. I have used the methods described, but I normally force a CHECKPOINT before SHUTDOWN ABORT.

But, now I prefer RMAN backups.

Murali Vallath
Oracle Certified DBA
http://www8.ewebcity.com/muralivallath/
http://www.summerskyus.com/

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com> Reply-To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Subject: Re: shutdown for backup : pro's and con's Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:04:25 -0800

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE should work, but I've always used a method similar to what you describe below just for the extra piece of mind that it gives me. NEVER do a backup immediately after a SHUTDOWN ABORT. Best regards,

Jonathan
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com

Author: Jonathan Gennick