I learned something today...

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:52:33 -0500

Group,
OS Novell , Oracle 7.3.4.0.1
  When I loaded the oracle on my server I used the ORAPWD command to set = the INTERNAL password. The Oracle database was created and the users SYS = and SYSTEM were automatically created with the default passwords. Using = the SVRMGR and connect internal/password worked as designed with the = created password. Using sys/default_password worked as designed when = connecting to the database as SYS. I changed the SYS password and the = INTERNAL password also changed.=20
  My question is: how can internal and sys have different passwords in the = beginning and then changing sys password also change the internal = password? It seems that it is a security problem if both passwords are = changed to be the same for internal and sys when you set them up as = different passwords in the beginning. =20   Reading the manual on the password utility states that the <password> = parameter "is the initial password for INTERNAL, which is the equivalent = to the password for user SYS". But it really isn't unless users SYS can = have 2 passwords. <change_on_install> and the INTERNAL password.

I don't need to start a long discussion. I just wanted to point out that I = had a point clarified to me today about 2 different passwords becoming 1.

ROR m=AA=BF=AAm Received on Thu Dec 07 2000 - 08:52:33 CST