RE: Question for Peoplesoft DBAs

From: David Davis <davisda_at_attcanada.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:11:10 -0500

Dick,
What 8K default sizing? There is a recommendation of using 8K blocksizes but the default sizing for the first and next extent used in the DDL generation can be set during an install or upgrade. Just did one in October, one of the things was changing a data mover script that sets the default sizings for the DDL. I have seen previously the psft default of 10,000 and 100,000 bytes being used (Ugh).

btw I pretty much ignore the peopletools dictionary because it is too much of pain to sync with the catalog. Overriding the DDL for a table/index for a record will change the objects Last Updated by value (lastupdoprid/lastupddttm). When performing compares or identifying the number of objects you modified (lastupdoprid <> 'PPLSOFT') the table will show up when all you changed were storage parms. This is a pain, when having to track what actually changed. For us, this is strictly a change mgmt issue. I always generate the DDL into a script and then resize as I see fit at that point.

Author: dmeng_at_focal.com
Date:       12/4/2000 9:45 AM

PS DBAs,
I have a real 'dummy-level' question for you: I just took over a new PS database and I noticed some tables already have 51 extents after only a few days. I am trying to increase the next extent size. While I know how to do this in Oracle, I am not sure if this should be done via PeopleTools or via svrmgrl. If I have to use PeopleTools, where do I do that from? What kind of operations can be done via svrmgrl and what can only be done via People Tools?

Dennis Meng
Database Administrator
Focal Communications
847-954-8328

  INET: dmeng_at_focal.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Thu Dec 07 2000 - 08:11:10 CST