RE: Urgent: Problem installing Oracle 817 on solaris8

From: Seth Dunehew <sdunehew_at_medicalmatrix.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:55:34 -0600

I've been going through some of these problems on my home system. I picked up a Sparc to run Solaris and Oracle 8.1.6 on, and ran into a bunch of snags, this was only one.

Oracle relinks quite a few of the executables during the install process. It saves Oracle from having to ship CDs for different OS versions, etc.

A compiler is not necessary, but the linker is, which should be part of the standard install. Make sure that /usr/ccs/bin appears in your path before /usr/local/bin or where ever gcc is installed. If the Oracle Installer finds the GNU ld before the Solaris one it will try to relink the files using GNU header files rather than the Solaris ones. Which I've been told is bad, very bad.

Check the path first, Solaris default is pretty sparse unless someone has changed the default on your system.

Since I'm have a DBA/sysadmin background with no more programming than I could get away with, I will deny all knowledge of this email and the corresponding explanation of why it works unless one of the more capable gurus concurs <grin>.

Thanks

Seth Dunehew

Author: Diana Duncan
  INET: Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 07 2000 - 12:55:34 CST