RE: shutdown immediate

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:14:42 +0100

Problem Description: Shutdown immediate slow Oracle Version: ?
Operating System: Solaris 7
Related Web sites: ?
Related MetaLink docs: ?

Roy,

Had a look thru me notes and found the following info relating to SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE hanging. So FWIW,

Someone made a posting where immediate was taking 20 hours. They created a decent sized TEMP tablespace and ALTERED SYS to use TEMP as temporary tablespace. The explanation/rationalization offered was that previously SYS was using SYSTEM as it's "temporary" tablespace and was being resource cramped. Once SYS had some acceptable amount of scrathc space in TEMP, it could and would quickly complete the shutdown within a minute or two. Ov8.1.5, HW not specified.

Sean :)

Rookie Data Base Adminstrator

[0%] OCP Oracle8 DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA