RE: Re[2]: Raw Vs. File systems, your opinion?

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:50:29 -0500

If you use Very Mighty System (VMS), it can be done. As a matter of fact it was done by DEC approximately 15 years ago. Does anybody remember VaxCluster, votin, nonpaged pools, system lock blocks, NODENAME"username password"::disk$device:[directory] notation? Oracle 5.1.22 in "cluster mode", with special attention paid to the size of oracle$bi (before image file, an extinct ancestor of the rollback segments) and oracle 6.2 on Vax Cluster? Of course it can be done, Files-11 was capable of doing so, in a very neat and efficient way (indexfile.sys,bitmap.sys) 15 years ago. EDT, EVE and TPU were a cream of the crop among the editors. It has been a long, long time ago, just before the day the music died.... I understand that Compaq is still maintaining some version of VMS (now called OpenVMS, I believe)

$backup/tap=mua0:/ignore=interlock dua0:[oracle...]*.*
$write sys$output "I used to love DCL"
$run SYS$SUPDATE:AUTOGEN NOFEEDBACK REBOOT

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com