Re: Raw Vs. File systems, your opinion?

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:14:49 -0800 (PST)

Cooked: requires less planning
Raw: Requires much planning

Will your environment allow you to use raw?

Jared

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Ron Rogers wrote:

> Jared, you were partually correct about starting something with reference=
 to "cooked vs raw" devices. The information at the web site you listed was=  informative and very detailed But this still doesn't answer to question I = posted on Nov 16
> "> List,
> > At my last interview I was asked about "cooked" and "raw" devices for t=
he storage and the advantages/dis-advantages of each. AS a DBA should I be = concerned about the type of storage the os has? Needless to say I didn't ge= t the job offer.... Could anyo
ne
> direct me to the answers to the questions or explain it in layperson ter=
ms.
> > Thanks.
> > ROR m=AA=BF=AAm"

>=20
>=20

> well, I'm fighting on your side in this one. I don't like using raw unles=
s I=20
> am forced to (because I'm using OPS)
>=20
>=20

> >From: "Joseph S. Testa" <teci_at_oracle-dba.com>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: Re: Raw Vs. File systems, your opinion?
> >Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:00:29 -0800
> >
> >let the holy war begin.
> >
> >joe, the anti-raw device DBA
> >
> >bruce.taneja_at_mcd.com wrote:
> > >
> > > We have been using raw devices for Oracle datafiles.. though I hear=
=20
> >that
> > > unix file systems
> > > are the prefered way.. Any one has bad experiences that made them=20
> >switch
> > > one to other?
> > > Any other opinions?
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > > Bruce
> > >
> >--
> >Joe Testa http://www.oracle-dba.com=20
> >
>=20

> Author: Ron Rogers
> INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
>=20

>=20

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;) Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 10:14:49 CST