dbname change -dblinks

From: Suneetha Kollipara <SKollipara_at_ahm-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:02:21 -0500

Hi Gurus

can you make me clear whether oracle is behaving strange or I am missing some basic concept

Here is the storage situation I am facing

after changing the database name from GEPROD TO GESTAGE (by recreating the controlfile)

I created database link GESTAGE

(init parameter globelnames =true)

when I am trying use the GESTAGE dblink it gives me error and asks me to create database link with GEPROD
once I do this It works fine

please go through these the steps

1.change of database name from GEPROD to GESTAGE (by recreating the control file)

2.connect to database GEDEV

  GEDEV>create database link GESTAGE

	connect to user1
	identified by user1
	using 'GESTAGE'

( connect string GESTAGE is in GEDEV sever :tnsnames.ora pointing to
GESTAGE database of server2)

  GEDEV> select * from v$dtabase_at_GESTAGE

select * from v$database_at_gestage

                  *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02085: database link GESTAGE.WORLD connects to GEPROD.WORLD

Action: Create a database link with the same name as the database to which it connects

 GEDEV>create database link GEPROD

	connect to user1
	identified by user1
	using 'GESTAGE'

 GEDEV>select * from v$dtabase_at_GEPROD

     DBID NAME CREATED RESETLOGS_CHANGE# RESETLOGS PRIOR_RESETLOGS_CHANGE# PRIOR_RES LOG_MODE

--------- --------- --------- ----------------- ---------
----------------------- --------- --------
ARCHIVE_CHANGE# CONTROL CONTROLFI CONTROLFILE_SEQUENCE# CONTROLFILE_CHANGE# CONTROLFI OPEN_RESETL VE
--------------- ------- --------- --------------------- -------------------
--------- ----------- --
4.030E+09 GESTAGE   01-DEC-00          16206138 01-DEC-00
1 01-MAR-00 ARCHIVELOG             16208379
              0 CURRENT 01-DEC-00                104257            16208379
05-DEC-00 NOT ALLOWED 01-DEC-00 READ WRITE **now I can't create dblink GEPROD pointing to GEPROD database

why is this happening
I have checked all the initGESTAGE parameters (+ v$parameter ) no one has "GEPROD" value

the story behind changing the database name is

GESTAGE is the staging database created using hotbackup of GEPROD so now we have production GEPROD on server1 and staging GESTAGE on server 2

both the databases
have same DBID 4.030E+09 is this something to do with this problem

I appreciate your patience in going through this lengthy mail Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 12:02:21 CST