RE: Off Topic -Happy Ramadhan

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:56:54 -0800

sorry, this one is too good to pass up...

http://www.muslim-canada.org/ch15hamid.html#time

excerpt:

   "(f) If and when a Muslim lands on the moon, it will obviously not     be possible to face the earthly Ka'bah in the service of prayer;     nor to follow the sun's rising, passing the meridian and setting     on Earth. What I humbly submit to the Muslim jurists

       [for those  unfamiliar w/ Islam, in Islam, civil law is
        derived from religious law -sharia-, so "jurists" are experts
        in religious law first, and civil law second]  is to
    construct a Ka'bah on the moon, at the point which would be face     to face with the earthly Ka'bah, during equinox time, during a     full moon night when our satellite is just above Mecca. That is,     a bit North of the centre of the face of the moon that we see. I     think that would lie in the region named 'Ocean of Tranquillity'.     I am personally so much the more convinced of this solution,     since the Ka'bah is not confined to the building of the ten odd     yards high, but also what is above in the atmosphere up to the     heaven. In a Hadith of al-Bukhari, the Holy Prophet is reported     to have said that the Earthly Ka'bah is the antipode of the     mosque of the angels underneath the Throne of God, (and so     exactly so that if one were to throw a stone from there, it would     fall on the top of the Ka'bah on earth). The great savant Ibn     Kathir (Bidayah, 1, 163) reports that there is a particular     Ka'bah on each of the seven heavens, each for the use of the     inhabitants of that heaven. He adds (Tafsir, on surah 52,     verse 4) the name of the Ka'bah on the seventh heaven is al-Bait     al-Ma'mur, and that the earthly Ka'bah is at exactly the antipode     of this heavenly Ka'bah. Our Ka'bah symbolizes as a window opening     on the Divine Throne. If that is so, the permanent residents of     the moon may even go there for pilgimage, since coming to earth     for that purpose would be too much for them. This solution may     help later to determine the point of the Qiblah on other stars     and planets also, if man alights and settles there. It may by the     way be pointed out that the days and nights on the moon are not     of about 12 hours each, but of 14 days each. The timing differs     on different celestial bodies. " Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 21:56:54 CST