Re: NetApp (was utl_file_dir)

From: djordjej <djordjej_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:53:18 -0500

In a document in NetApps library on net they mention five scripts that you have to run fro the hobackup. First script generates sql that puts tablespaces in the backup mode, second one runs it, the third does the snapshot, and last two do the opposite of the first two. So, from that I would guess that you have to put tablespaces in the backup mode before the snapshot. As snapshot can take some time (couple of minutes) I guess there is a probability that you have inconsitent files, although I am not sure, as the main purpose of the backup mode is to avoid split blocks. Anyway, putting tablspaces in the backup mode is not a big deal, so I would do this anyway.

I agree that snapshots should be used as in improvment to oracle disaster recovery, and not as replacement for the basic oracle backup.

And don't forget: control file, online redo logs and archived logs should be on another volume than data files, as snapresotore would wipe out the new versions of the files.

If you start using snapshot let us know of your experiences.

Djordje

> Still working on the backup strategy and haven't tried a snapshot
> restore yet. But, for the database files, you do need to put the
> tablespaces in backup mode before taking a snapshot. I mention this
> because of the impression I got from talking to different people from
> NetApp.
>
> I was told that because snapshots are a read-only image of blocks on the
> volume, you could simply schedule snapshots and restore from them at any
> time. No mention of putting tablespaces in backup mode, or the impacts
> of snaprestore on the database.
>
> Okay, the snapshot feature is pretty slick, but in my mind that doesn't
> change basic Oracle backup and recovery concepts. Hot backups require
> the tablespaces be in backup mode, cold backups require the database be
> down. Why would NetApp snapshots make this any different??
>
> The backup strategy I'm implementing follows
> http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3049.html, which explains the
> tablespaces are put in backup mode, snapshot taken, tablespaces out of
> backup mode. Although it does puzzle me why they suggest certain
> tablespaces can be excluded, seems that would make recovery a little
> more challenging.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about the backup strategies other people
> are using for database on a NetApp filer.
>

> Djordje Jankovic wrote:
> >
> > We are using NetApps as the Enterprise storage system (not only for
Oracle).
> > This is sysadmins job, so I don't know too much of it, but I am positive
> > that we are also sharing filer for unix and NT. As far as Oracle goes
we
> > did not have any problems and are quite happy with. As far as speed
goes I
> > pesonally haven't benchmarked it against some other possible solutions.
As