RE: [Q] Optimizer_mode and performance?

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:27:13 -0500

Nothing of the kind has not been established. The "compute" option is the only exact option, everything else is just an approximation. Except with the help of controlled substances, an approximation can not be better then reality. What has been established is that, provided your data is not deviating from the average by too much, the ESTIMATE option gives you almost as usable results as the COMPUTE option. Try using the DBMS_STATS package instead of the direct analyze for several reasons:
a) It's faster and can work in parallel. b) It allows statistics to be exported/imported from another database.

Finally, you can collect trace and statistics information, identify which statements perform suboptimally and get the vendor to tune them properly instead of giving you a rude suggestion of getting more horsepower. But, again, you must be able to identify the suboptimal SQL by yourself. Any vendor will always tell you that their SQL is perfect unless confronted with the evidence to the contrary. If there aren't any suboptimal SQL statements, then the suggestion is valid: get a bigger box, just like that Taco Bell dog in the Godzilla commercial.

Author: Kresimir Fabijanic
  INET: kresimir_at_ozemail.com.au