?: TEMP Tablespace

From: Dash, Saroj (CAP,CEF) <Saroj.Dash_at_gecapital.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:00:28 +0900

-----???????-----

???: Nikunj Gupta [mailto:good_dba_at_hotmail.com]
????: Sunday, December 03, 2000 PM 03:50

??: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
??: Re: TEMP Tablespace

Hi Lisa,

I agree with Djordje.

But if you have already created TEMP tablespace with 16Gb as requried.. and would not like to drop and recreate with all that is suggested...

It seems you have TEMP tablespace of the type PERMANENT, suggested and preferred is TEMPORARY instead of PERMANENT. ( What does the LIST Guru's say ? )

Now, there can be a workaround for your problem.. You can always.. change the NEXT of TEMP tablespace..
Whenever TEMP tablespace is used.. NEXT extent is used for allocation and not INITIAL, whereas in all other tablespaces INITIAL is used for allocation. (I hope that is why, it is told to have both Initial and Next of them of the same size).

One advantage you may have, as the TEMP tablespace is of the PERMANENT... .. SMON will COALESCE freespaces and you will have bigger chunks. which are free.. .. While if it is TEMPORARY then, the free pieces are marked as free.. and ORACLE internally uses them.. but DOES NOT release them and show them to be FREE.
So, if you have used 90 % of your TEMP Tablespace with TEMPORARY.. you will always see it as 90% used.. while if it of the type PERMANENT.. and you have released 90 % of it.. while you are using only 10%, at some point of time you will find that your tablespace is approx. 90% free.

In both the cases .. all the free pieces are being used and managed.

I am trying to explain.. be patient..... Is it confusing ??

Why I told you this is.. SIMPLE.. if you had smaller NEXT intially.. and type TEMPORARY ..with 90 % of TS USED, even if you increase NEXT to be big enough.. You will not be able to take advantage.. and will end up getting error messages.. because the largest available chunk could be maximum 10%.

Being PERMANENT.. just change the NEXT to a sufficiently big value.. but take care it should be the same.. as told by Djordje ... N*SORT_AREA_SIZE+DB_BLOCK_SIZE where N can be any number.. Once there are enough big free pieces you may be able to create the index.

PCTINCREASE would be preferred to be ZERO (0) for temporary tablespace.

(Again, it is case to case basis)....

LIST Guru's please respond this with your suggestions / corrections and experience...

HTH   Nikunj

Hi Djordje,

Thanks for sending this to the list. The result is in db blocks, isn't it?

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com <http://www.qode.com>

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

Author: djordjej
  INET: djordjej_at_home.com