Re: RE: Primary keys vs. unique indexes

From: Cyril Thankappan <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2000 07:14:36 -0000

Hi!

 Yes true, but I have not been able to understand  WHY the primary key is required to define  the foreign key..

 Please understand me, I am aware that Oracle  has put a restriction of primary/unique key being  pre-requisite for foreign key definition, but  I am trying to understand the 'reason' behind  imposing that restriciton..

 Perhaps some design 'guru' can help...

 Hannah r u listening!

of course you can.

to quote the 8.1.6 SQL Reference manual restrictions on foreign keys:

The referenced UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY constraint on the parent table must already be defined.

seems to me that that is pretty clear

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

------------------------------

 From: "Cyril  Thankappan" <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
 Date: 2 Dec 2000 07:17:18 -0000
 Subject:  Re: Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux.

Hi!

 can you please tell me at which download site
 Oracle 8.1.7 for linux is available?

 Has Oracle solved the rman issue in Oracle 8.1.7?

 Thanks

Author: Gogala, Mladen
  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com