RE: Re[2]: NetApp (was utl_file_dir)

From: Djordje Jankovic <djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:54:51 -0500

We are using NetApps as the Enterprise storage system (not only for Oracle). This is sysadmins job, so I don't know too much of it, but I am positive that we are also sharing filer for unix and NT. As far as Oracle goes we did not have any problems and are quite happy with. As far as speed goes I pesonally haven't benchmarked it against some other possible solutions. As I said, I am not a sysadmin, nut from user/dba point of view they are very easy to use. They were very reliable so far - we had instances when one of two power supplies had problems, without any impact to the system - they were hot replaced, same with one disk failing ones (data is stripped between, I think 9 disks). We also failover between two NetApps - where one will automatically overtake other one's functionality. We are using its snapshot ability, and we are planning to start using it as an element in the oracle disaster recovery scenario.

Any experience with snapshots in the oracle backup/restore contest ?

Djordje

Author: Suzy Vordos <lvordos_at_datsit.com> Date: 12/1/00 11:40 PM

Yep, you can share to Unix and NT. On the NetApp filer you create volumes, then qtrees on each volume. Then, export at the qtree level, NFS for Unix and/or CIFS for NT.

dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I know I really don't like it when someone changes the direction
of a
> thread, but this does segway into a question I have recently been
asking.

> We had a rep from Net Appliance here the other day to pitch their
filer as
> solution for our disk space problems. They pitched it as both a NT
file
system
> solution (home drives & the like) and a Unix solution for the DB's as
well.
One
> question I had was could a Unix host see and/or create files on the
filer that
> could then be shared by the NT side. He said YES. Hummmmm!! Now
that could
> cure some of my headaches. Therefore, is anyone out there using a
NetApp
> Filer?? If so, How??
>
> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Raghunath; Shivaswamy" <Shivaswamy.Raghunath_at_qwest.com>
> Date: 11/29/2000 4:12 PM
>
> Thanks for your reply, Dave Turner.
>
> But my latter reference says me thus:
>
> utl_file is a utility for server-side only. Which means that, we can
use
> only the directories on the server and directories on no other box is
> permittted. TEXT_IO package of Oracle Developer could be used for the
client
> side.
>
> Thanks, however,
> Shiva