RE: Personal Lab for study purposes...

From: McKown, John <JMckown_at_healthaxis.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:10:03 -0600

I have download Oracle 8.1.7 from their web site (http://www.oracle.com - you must sign up for OTN, which is free). I have not yet installed it. It appears to be free for personal use. There are versions for Windows (NT/2000 or 95/98). There is also a version for Linux. I run Linux at home. If you have a PC which is good enough to run WindowsNT/2000, then it is good enough to run Linux (or one of the BSDs) as well. I prefer to run Linux, myself, for two reasons: (1) it's "free" for the download (I generally buy a cheap CD at http://www.cheapbytes.com or http://www.linuxmall.com) and (2) it is very stable. I run WindowsNT 4.0 at work & my Linux system @ home seems to be a bit more stable, but not really significantly. It is really the fact that Linux is "free" that turned me on to it. It is harder to install an configure than Windows! At least when I did it about a year ago. Anyway, enough off-topic stuff, I don't want to start a "war" on Windows vs. Linux.