RE: LEGALITY of purchasing Exam Materials USED

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:33:41 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C05BB4.76E1BC00

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Jim is not alone in his feelings. I share them, but more important, virtually all of the trade journals I read think UCITA is a nightmare.

It's spreading like a plague across the US, too, state by state.

Author: Jim Conboy
  INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C05BB4.76E1BC00

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: LEGALITY of purchasing Exam Materials USED</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jim is not alone in his feelings. I share them, but =
more important, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>virtually all of the trade journals I read think =
UCITA is a nightmare.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It's spreading like a plague across the US, too, =
state by state. </FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Jim Conboy [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com">mailto:Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com</A>]</FONT>=
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 9:30 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: RE: LEGALITY of purchasing Exam Materials =
USED</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You're assuming what's right and reasonable is =
protected by law.&nbsp; That's not the case with software, and the = situation is getting worse.&nbsp; Take the time to get familiar with = UCITA, a horrible law recently enacted in Maryland and being lobbied = hard in other states by the software industry.&nbsp; Among other things = it completely absolves software manufacturers from liability for = defective product, allows software licenses to legally forbid public = criticism of the product (including product reviews in trade mags), and = allows software vendors to change the terms of the license without = warning even after you've bought the software (excuse me...bought the = software LICENSE).&nbsp; Terrible for the consumer, great for the = software vendors - until they realize that they also are customers of = other vendors.&nbsp; Have a nice day!</FONT></P>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jim</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt;&gt; abchaudhary-ho_at_beaconhouse.edu.pk =
12/01/00 01:35AM &gt;&gt;&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>If it so with the books, I think there shouldn't be =
any harm doing so with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the software. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If you have used a software, you can destroy its copy =
on your machine and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>sell the original CD/books etc. to anyone else or =
even burn it.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Aleem</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.orafaq.com" = TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: Jim Conboy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) =
538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>San Diego, =
California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet = access / Mailing Lists</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an =
E-Mail message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of =
'ListGuru') and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB =
ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed =
from).&nbsp; You may</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>also send the HELP command for other information =