RE: difference

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:41:07 -0400

The exams are updated every time a new version is released.

In Oracle7 you couldn't do with SQL some of the things you can do with Oracle8 and Oracle8i SQL, and so forth. Backup and Recovery would have = been
updated with RMAN, queries in export utility, etc. PT well that would = have
been updated to take partitions, etc. into account. Data Modeling is probably the one that has changed the least, db design and = normalization
isn't mentioned much in the DBA upgrade course for 8i.

There is a DBA New Features for Administrators exam for 8i which covers = both
8 and 8i, that covers only the difference between 7 and 8i, and 8 and = 8i.

If you are starting the certification track you have to pass all the = exams
in the list at education.oracle.com, when 9i is released you can do the = DBA
New Features for Administrators exam for 9i...

Some people I know apparently have more money than I do, they pass all = the
exams instead of just doing the upgrade one. One other person I know = did
this too, but he works for an Oracle education partner so I think he = got the
materials for free. So he has plenty of certifications but not enough practical experience. I am on the other side of the scale, I have some experience but not as many certifications as I would like.

: )

There are so many exams and tracks that it's hard if not practically impossible to do them all. For time reasons, for $$$ reasons. Also = because
my brain can't hold enough information.

: (

Hope this helps (HTH)
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO