What happens to THAT when I do THIS?

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:58:29 -0700

Okay, this weekend I'm moving the tables and indexes for one of our hosted customers to new tablespaces on different spindles, hopefully to gain a bit of performance (this is on 8.1.6).

Now, some of our tables have CLOB columns in'em. I know that if you move a table using ALTER TABLE MOVE that you have to rebuild the indexes. In my testing, I've also noticed that the CLOB indexes remain in their old tablespace. I've also noticed that they don't seem to need rebuilding; everything works fine after the move (I realize they're a different animal).

SO I think I'm basically good to go, and there shouldn't be any problems, but I was just wondering if anyone had done this kind of move with CLOB's and have any suggesions about other things that should be done. The usual preparations before the move will be done: backups, animal sacrifices, etc.

Also, I've searched Metalink and Technet to see if there's a way of moving or rebuilding the CLOB indexes. Ideally I'd like to put'em in one of the new tablespaces, but I don't think I can do this without dropping and recreating the table (which I'll probably wind up doing, after exporting the data, of course). Does anybody know anything about that? Any secret methodologies out there buried so deep I can't find'em?

Man, having a brand new EMC box to play with sure is fun... :>)

Thanks,
--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana, USA Received on Thu Nov 30 2000 - 14:58:29 CST