RE: webdb form question

From: Nguyen, Long <Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:15:51 +1100

Thanks Diana for you info.

Another simple question (hope you or someone in the list could give me some ideas):

I want to display multiple rows from a table on a form in update mode which allows the user to change the row contents. How could I do this?

This is a very SIMPLE requirement but for me it is not a straght forward thing to do in webdb. Looking at a few options:

  1. I could create a form based on the table and have the QUERY and UPDATE button there, but this only displays one row at a time. Here I want multiple rows to be displayed on the form at the same time to allow users to update multiple rows on one screen.
  2. The master-detail form allows you to update multiple entries but here there is only one table involved.
  3. I have thought a get around way to achieve this, which is to have a report that displays rows in the table, with the key field in each row to be presented as a link. When the user clicks on the link it will call a update form which displays just one row based on the value of the key selected, and the user can change the row content on the update form. So far I got the report done but then when I click on the link it calls the update form and dispalys it with the key field haveing the value passed, and all other fields empty. How can I have a link which passes to a form a key parameter which enables the form to get back a row based on the parameter value?

Hmm, a simple requirement but not a simple task to me. Probably I missed something here.

Please help.
Thanks
Long

Author: Diana Duncan