RE: Concurrent Users

From: Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith_at_kmg.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:50:24 -0600

I use the following two scripts. One for V7 and one for V8. There is a little more to it than what is here but this will give you the general idea. The scripts look for distinct logins and eliminate the same person being logged in more than once. I load them to a table and then produce a weekly report. We found the V$License numbers were inaccurate due to some applications using multiple sessions for the same user.

V7 Script:

set pause off
SET ECHO off
set verify off
set feedback off
define SERVER = &1
define DBLINK = &2

insert into test_user.km_highwater
(select distinct to_char(to_date(value,'J')) SD, sysdate, '&SERVER'a,
db.name, username,
osuser, machine

         from v$session@&DBLINK, v$instance@&DBLINK, v$database@&DBLINK db
                 where key='STARTUP TIME - JULIAN');
exit;

V8 Script:

set pause off
SET ECHO off
set verify off
set feedback off
define SERVER = &1
define DBLINK = &2

insert into test_user.km_highwater
(select distinct startup_time, sysdate, '&SERVER'a, db.name, username,

osuser, machine

         from v$session@&DBLINK, v$instance@&DBLINK, v$database@&DBLINK db); exit;

Reporting Script:
set verify off
set pagesize 60
set linesize 132
set feedback off;
col sample_date format a20;
spool highwater_rpt2.txt
TTITLE LEFT 'Highwater Report by Server - Instance' Skip 2; column counter format 999
compute sum label 'TOTAL' of max_users on report break on report on server skip 1 on instance_name select server, instance_name, max(max_users) "Max_Users" from

        (select server, instance_name, sample_date, sum(counter) max_users from

                (select distinct sample_date, server, instance_name,
user_name, os_user, terminal, count(*) counter
                        from km_highwater
                        where (instance_name in

('FINPROD1','FINLEG01','OGPROD') and os_user <> 'applmgr' and os_user <>
'oracle')
                        or (instance_name = 'PEU1' and os_user <> 'applmgr'
)
                        or (instance_name not in

('FINPROD1','FINLEG01','PEU1','OGPROD') and os_user not like '%oracle%')
group by server, instance_name, sample_date, user_name, os_user, terminal) group by server, instance_name, sample_date)
group by server, instance_name;
spool off;
exit;

Ron Smith