Re: TEMP Tablespace

From: djordjej <djordjej_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:48:24 -0500

The size on INITIAL and NEXT for the TEMP tablespace should be the same, and should be N*SORT_AREA_SIZE+DB_BLOCK_SIZE, and PCTINCRESE should be 0. The N from above is usually 3 (to be able to accomodate three contents of the sort memory area), but it depends on the average number of sort runs (merge phases) in your sorts. So if you have huge sorts with a lot of sort runs you would like to have N larger but if you have a large number of sorts that run concurrently are each not that large, you would like to go with larger number of smaller sort segments.

The size of the average sort you can find from the query:

select sum(fs.PHYBLKWRT)*p.value/s.value   from v$filestat fs

       , v$datafile f
       , v$tablespace t
       , v$parameter p
       , v$sysstat s
 where f.file# = fs.file#
   and f.ts# = t.ts#
   and t.name = 'TEMP'

   and p.name='db_block_size'
   and s.name = 'sorts (disk)'
 group by p.value, s.value;

HTH Djordje

> Really, I didn't work with such a big temp tablespace, but
> I recommend you creating it as a temporary tablespace because oracle
behaves different for allocating sort extents at temporary tablespaces.
> Good luck.
>

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:30:32 -0800 "Charlie Mengler" <charliem_at_mwh.com>
wrote:
> > Oracle V7.3.4.3 on Solaris V2.6
> >
> > The volume of data I'm required to support has just increased
significantly.
> > I've been force to increase the size of TEMP to around 16GB to support
> > index creation on a new LARGE table. TEMP is/was configured as -
> >

> > SQL> select * from dba_tablespaces where tablespace_name = 'TEMP';
> >
> > TABLESPACE_NAME INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE STATUS CONTENTS

> > TEMP 1048576 2097152 1
505 1 ONLINE PERMANENT