Re: Local Prefix vs non-prefix indexes

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:34:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Frank,

You seem to conclude the opposite of what Rick has read. Not only that, but I also suspect you're confusing local non-prefixed indexes with global indexes. Consider me as a newbie. My understanding is that a local index, prefixed or not, is always equipartitioned with their table partition. I.e. one local index partition always contains rowids of the data in its own table partition. Look at Figure 11-5 at
http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c09parti.htm. Note that ranges of ACCTNO's are not sequential when you move from left to right, as are DEPTNO (the table partition key). The triangles representing indexes are an excellent example of illustration in that they *are* self-contained B-tree indexes in their own right.

It's true that "In a non-eqiupartitioned environment a change to the table might invalidate all of the index partitions", which sounds like global indexes.

But I can't give an answer to Rick's question. What book is it, Rick? By whom? On what page?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

Rick:

Local prefixed indexes are equipartitioned with the table. Therefore if I do some maintenance on the table partition it invalidates the corresponding index partition but only that one. The index partition then needs to be rebuilt. In a non-eqiupartitioned environment a change to the table might invalidate all of the index partitions.

Frank Marshall