Re: Tuning a warehouse

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:20:22 -0600

We cut the nightly loads in half
by switching from CHOOSE optimizer
mode to ALL_ROWS every night before the loads. Then after the loads, we switched
back and bounced the database.

ALL_ROWS is optimized for total
throughput and works well for batch
jobs. FIRST_ROWS works better
for forms and other types of interactive on-line transactions.

We also use table and index partitioning and analyze the key fact table and dimension tables nightly after the loads.

Try to utilize the star schema functionality if you can.

We are using 8.0.4 and Sun Solaris 2.6
on our 150 Gig datawarehouse and
45 Gig datamart. Received on Wed Nov 29 2000 - 22:20:22 CST