Running Oracle 8.0.5 Client against Oracle 7.3.4 Server (NT)

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:44:09 -0500

Good Morning List!

     I work in a LARGE corporate atmosphere with locked down desktop builds. The majority of our Oracle databases are 7.3.4, though we do have some 8x. Our DBA group is looking into the possibility of deploying the Oracle 8.0.5 Client software on our user desktops in order to run it against both 7.3.4 and 8x servers (we are a NT shop).

     In the past I heard some talk form other DBA friends that there may be some conflict doing this if using ODBC to connect to the 7.3.4 databases (instances). Has anyone out there heard of any issues/contention with Oracle 8X client against Oracle 7.3.4 backend? I have heard that it would only be a possibility if using ODBC (and some our our internal apps do).

Your thoughts?

Thanks, Received on Tue Nov 28 2000 - 07:44:09 CST