RE: SQL Server2000 Vs Oracle 8i <-- Attachment History Removed

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:34:35 -0400

Just a point of clarification a "database" in Microsoft-speak is a

"tablespace" in Oracle-speak.  A "server" in Microsoft language is an
"instance" in Oracle terminology.  I don't know if you can have multiple
"servers" of SQL Server on the same machine, in Oracle you can have multiple
instances on the same machine.

In Oracle a user's schema can store objects in multiple tablespaces, I don't know if that can be done in SQL Server (user A having objects that reference each other transparently on databases X and Y, both of which would be on the same "server").

Oracle8i now lets people detach and re-attach tablespaces, sounds to me a lot like attaching / detaching databases in SQL Server.

I have problems with Microsoft's terminology, they keep referring to their own code / software with the name of the physical object the code depends upon. e.g. a "printer device" for Microsoft is a printer driver, it's not the actual hardware that prints. Likewise a "server" for Microsoft is an installation of MS SQL Server, it's not the host. It can get a little confusing. For me at least...

"Cold" backups can be done online --> this must be new, I read that you can do "cold" backups with SQL Server, but you have to save the transaction log as well if you don't want to lose your latest database changes. You can then restore using the "cold" backup, then apply the transaction log... Hmmm what does this sound like. To me, a cold backup would be shutdown the SQL Server service, MSDTC and the Agent. copy the files physically using the OS. restart the services, and the database will become available automatically.

Maybe you can do a cold backup without backing up the transaction log, I don't know how much faster that would be.

10G is kind of small, when you think about it.

I am an Oracle DBA so if there are inaccuracies in here please correct me so I can learn more.

Patrice Boivin
Oracle Certified DBA