Re: SOS Alert

From: Rod Corderey <RodCorderey_at_Lane-Associates.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:30:14 +0000

Hi

. What about the application itself?

. You mention that accesses are via indexes but are they the most optimal for the   retrieval direction?

. Is there any purely navigational sql traffic that is using table accesses, if so   why?

. If you take a single iteration of the calculation process and analyse each of the   steps, is the process taking 1/500 minute or is the total process slowing due   to contention eg intermittant lock waits etc?

. Are there any database configuration parameters out of step with what the   process is requesting. eg small sga, substantial use of hash joins with small   hash_area_size etc

. At what point in the total run process are commits being executed?

  If the largest granularity of commit is not at account level, are there any   issues with redos affecting the performance?

. I'm not sure whether you are inferring that dynamic sql is used or that you mean   hard values were embedded in sql statements which have now been replaced with   variables and assignments.

  If you are using dynamic sql then as you are on 7.3 NDS is not available, so   are you using DBMS_SQL or a C process for executing the dynamic sql.

. Is the dynamic sql really necessary to the process, without NDS - and sometimes   with it - it will always slow things down a bit?

Other issues might involve the mix of physical distribution of the data set involved in a calculation batch, I am assuming that as it is a bank the data set is fairly large.

sorry this a bit sketchy and questions rather than answers but to offer much more I would need to see the calculation process itself and data model against which it is being executed. Or at least the answers to the questions :-)

I might be being a bit blinkered but I would exhaust the design characteristics before addressing hardware any further.

good luck

Rod

--
Rod Corderey