Re:unusable indexes

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:30:01 -0500

Chuck,

    Yes the index rebuild does use the contents of the existing index for the rebuild, but that index was being maintained by the DB during the truncate. The alter partition command does the invalidating.

Dick Goulet.

Subject: unusable indexes
Author: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com> Date: 11/24/2000 11:15 AM

Can anyone explain to me how a global non-partitioned index that's on a partitioned table can be rebuilt using the "alter index rebuild" command when one of the table's partitions has been truncated? I expected it to return an error since "rebuild" uses the existing index as the data source and the index is marked "unusable" as soon as the truncate completes. After I ran the rebuild however, the index was marked as VALID.

Do You Yahoo!?